Sunday, August 29, 2010

Adventures in Plimoth Plantation and the Mayflower by Girl Kyle

Our original plan was to go to Nantucket yesterday since I've never been there and boy Kyle went there about 10 years ago. The problem with going there was the times that the ferry left Hyannis for Nantucket. We wouldn't be getting to the island until 3 and we wouldn't be able to leave until 8. So instead I came up with the idea that we should go to Plimoth Plantation. It took a little convincing but Kyle finally agreed.

I have a nice long history with Plimoth Plantation and the Mayflower. My mom got a job at the Mayflower back when I was....I'm not sure how old I was but I was definitely young. She worked as a Pilgrim on the Mayflower for awhile and then worked in the ticket booth. After that, she worked at the Plantation as the group tickets lady. I spent a lot of my childhood around the Mayflower and walking all the paths at the Plantation. I was very excited to go back to both the Plantation and the Mayflower. I was really surprised when we got there how different yet similar everything was from when my mom used to work there. The visitor center and the food court and the gift shop all hadn't changed. The difference was in the village. The look of it hadn't changed much since the last time I had been there but we only came across 4 Pilgrims. When my mom worked there, you would come across interpreters all over the place. It was sad to see how quiet the village had become. Besides being sad about that fact, I felt like I was 10 again walking around the Plantation and the Mayflower. Everything smelled and looked the same (minus the lack of interpreters). The thing that surprised me the most was how they left out everything in the houses. They had pottery, furniture, clothing, weapons, books, etc just laying out in the open. There were no cameras so it would be incredibly easy to steal something and go on your merry way. They did a great job setting up everything to make it look like the person living in the house had just left to take a walk. They had a lot of chickens walking around so me and Kyle spent a lot of our time chasing them. They're probably used to it because they didn't run very far.

When we got to the Mayflower, it was really startling to see the lack of things they had set up. I remember there being a lot more props in the bottom of the ship. They didn't have bedding or games or barrels or anything like that lying around like they used to. They had some stuff in the place where they cook the food but there was no one in there cooking. Back when my mom used to work there, there was always someone cooking up something that smelled delicious. My mom used to cook in there actually. Even though we had a great time and it was a gorgeous day, it was really sad to see the huge difference in how the places have changed. It's a shadow of itself and it makes me sad.
I'll end this post with a video of me terrorizing some chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment