Sunday, August 29, 2010

Adventures at Plimoth Plantation and the Mayflower by Boy Kyle

As Kyle mentioned, I was not immediately on board for going to Plymouth Plantation. Truth be told I wasn't really in the mood for doing anything yesterday. I think I just got up on the wrong side of the bed.


Another factor is that we went to Plymouth the night before to meet up with a dear friend of mine and the thought of driving back there didn't thrill me. But once we got into town I relaxed and allowed myself to enjoy it. The Plantation has never really held much significance to me so I had a feeling that I wouldn't have a strong reaction to it one way or the other. This proved to be the case but I don't want to give the impression that I didn't like it. I did have fun and it was lovely out but I think the thing I enjoyed the most about the day was walking around the downtown area. There was a festival going on at the waterfront which was a bit stressful since there were hundreds of people trying to squeeze past each other all along the road. We stopped in at the British Beer Company for a quick pint before venturing out again. We sat on Cole's Hill overlooking the Rock and the harbor discussing dinner options and the conversation gradually moved to the thought of living in Plymouth. My initial reaction is that I don't think I would enjoy it but when I stop to think about why that might be, there really isn't any reason. In fact there are plenty of reasons why I would like living there. It has some of the energy of a small Hyannis-like "city" but also the quaintness of most of the rest of Cape Cod. Summertime would bring lots of tourists but it can't be as drastic as Cape Cod. It's on the mainland so there would be no bridge traffic to fight and it's convenient to major highways. I would probably miss the privacy of the house here in Centerville but in Plymouth it would be mine. Soon our stomachs told us it was time to find nourishment so we went to a Texas barbecue restaurant and by then it was apparent that my mood had improved.


The food was decent and the prices were very reasonable. After dinner we made our way back to the Cape. All in all it was an enjoyable day and the company couldn't have been better. Kyle's niece welcomed us back when we got to Mashpee, which was quite adorable. Here is my wrap-up of the day:


Comments, questions or suggestions? Write to us at KyleandKyleBlog@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog! Also thinking about hitting the plantation with Tammy. I'm fairly certain your reaction would be same as mine so it's good to know what you thought.

    ReplyDelete